Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Day 25

Three weeks.

A little more than three weeks ago, I was a very happy wife.  Being a wife, being Storm's wife, was my whole world, and that life is gone to me now.  It was my identity.  It's who I was; Mrs. Storm Treasure.  I was proud of my wife-ing.  I was content in my life.  I felt like my life was full of richness and beauty, and my husband and I had plans of buying a home and creating a wonderful future for ourselves.  We were going to plant my roses all around the house.  Literally, he promised me a rose garden.   My life was so great, I was always looking forward.  Now...I'm just living...breathing...trying to get through this day. 

These are the shards of my life.  Well, really, it's a glass vase full of glass chunks.  As a final parting gift before he took his life, my husband broke my desk, which had a tempered glass top.  The pieces were scattered around my room for four days until I got back into my house.  My daughter and I had to sweep them up.  It took a long time.  We swept and swept.  We shook out clothes and rugs and tried to capture every piece of glass.  As I picked them up with Elizabeth, I told her that they were the shards of my life.  She agreed it was an interesting metaphor.

A week later, I decided to keep them.  I could never repair them.  No matter how much glue I used, no matter how I were to try, I could never glue this back together again.  I could never fix this.  Just like my life.  It's just like my life.

Just like my painful memories, I am still finding these shards.  Sometimes they lodge in my foot, or I see them glittering in the light reflecting on the floor.  Sometimes I find them in drawers and they fall out of clothes.  It often seems to be when I am thinking a new thought, or hurting a new hurt.  Each time I drop it in the jar: another shard of my life.  Eventually I will have gathered all of the shards of my life together.  Then what?

I would like to buy a glass rose to put inside, and an engraving of Storm's name, and dates.  I would also like to figure a lid for it.  I haven't gotten that far yet.  One of these days, when I have survived this hurt, and I am not so intensely hurt and angry, I hope to be able to look at it and feel...something new inside.  Right now....right now I'm as broken inside as the shards in this vase.



Shards of my Life

No comments:

Post a Comment